nDanville (Network Danville) is the City’s 125+ route mile fiber optic network that extends high speed transport service to schools, government buildings, and a growing number of businesses. A major focus of system expansion through the nDanville Medical Network is the medical community. The Danville Regional Medical Center and approximately fifty percent of area medical and dental facilities are currently connected to the nDanville network. The City is considering installation of connections to several practitioner residences on a pilot project in the near future.
The City is not a service provider. Instead, nDanville is a network open to any provider that wishes to offer services to connected customers. Gamewood Technology Group, a locally owned service provider, is currently offering retail Internet and IPTV services on nDanville while other service providers are being recruited. The City takes a share of service provider revenues to fund the network operations and expansion.
The nDanville Medical Network supports open access, secure intranet telecommunications platforms for medical providers. Bandwidths of up to 10 gigabits per second can be supported, enabling high resolution imaging and interactive video applications. Broadband functionalities that are made possible by service providers over the new nDanville Medical Network include:
- Remote access to computerized health systems in the hospital, home healthcare locations, pharmacies, and long-term facilities
- Secure physician-to-physician and patient-to-physician audio, video, and data communication technologies
- High-definition video conferencing and consultation
- High-definition remote medical imaging
- High-Speed Internet
- Digital health records automation
- Electronic patient scheduling, prescriptions, billings, and other back office services for healthcare practitioners
- Public E-health learning system